External Hard drive enclosure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by believo, Dec 14, 2006.

1. believo macrumors regular

believo

I'm looking for an external hard drive enclosure but I can't seem to find a nicely designed one. They all look like curvy modern pieces of crap. Can anybody reccomend a nice one along the lines of a lacie porsche design or something more stripped down?

thanks

2. JAT macrumors 603

So, you want it to look like the LaCie Porsche, but not BE the Porsche? I mean, isn't the answer right there?

3. MacBook'06 macrumors member

MacBook'06

How about the FireCube? (sorry: its an australian link...)
    I have this enclosure and it is the nicest non-apple piece of hardware i have seen for a long time... much better looking than the LaCie's anyway.

4. believo thread starter macrumors regular

believo

Well sort of. I don't really want it to be or look exactly like the Lacie Porsche drive. I only use that example because it's my only reference for differentiating a stripped down "squared" design from a more modern "curvy" one. I guess it's like the difference between bauhaus or modern art but I figured I'd better give an example of what I mean by "stripped down." Perhaps, a better analogy would be the difference between the clamshell imacs of the 90s and the G5 PowerMacs of recent.

I do like the Lacie Porsche Drive but I don't think they sell enclosures of it.

thanks.. Hopefully someone knows other similar designs.

5. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

The LaCie Porsche may look good, but they don't have fans inside for cooling. Anyway, since you're looking for enclosures, have a look at dealsonic.com - I've bought enclosures from them in the past and am happy with the products. They have a good variety of enclosures - so you may find something you like.

Going slightly off topic, if this is for making a new external hard drive, then I'd suggest going for a branded external drive. The days of buying an OEM HDD and putting it in an enclosure to reduce the total cost are almost gone. The best deals for branded external drives now are better than a DIY (enclosures usually cost upwards of US$30 and that cost hasn't come down much in the last two years or so, unlike the price of branded external drives).

6. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

That appears to be the same enclosure as one of mine. I think mine is branded as Rosewill and I got it at Newegg. I think I got that one as an opened package for about $60, but it is easily worth more. Great enclosure.

7. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

Mine is FW800+FW400+USB. The linked enclosure only looks like FW400+USB.