External Hard Drive Help Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by michael-appleru, Oct 15, 2006.

1. michael-appleru macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2006
    i have some problems with my seagate hard drive.

(the files were made on a mac mini tranfered to the EHD to use them with the eMac EHD=external Hard Drive)

1. When I move files from the EHD to a Folder in the EHD i doesnt move it, it copies it, how to i move the files??

2. Everytime I move, delete, add, ect. to the EHD I have to Authenticate even if i did so 30 sec ago how i can make that stop??

I am not the primary user for the hard drive.
  2. cschreppel macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2006
    Boston, MA
    So you're saying that when you move files within the external drive to another folder within the same drive, it copies it over - it doesn't just relocate the file to a new directory, just adds a new version.

I think the authentication nonsense is directly related to your priveleges on the drive. If you were on a computer's system drive NOT as the Administrator and wanted to delete, add, or move something that would affect all users, you'd need to authenticate.

See if you can have the Administrator authorize you to have those priveleges.
  3. ShadowX22 macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2006
    Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have a problem with External Hard Drives as well stemming from not being the primary user of the Drive. I can not write to the drive but can only read. Is there a way to make it so I can write to it? Or rather gain the rights to write to it.

Note: This is from a Windows Formatted External to a MacBook