1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

external hard drive help!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by .mark., Feb 4, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm not having much fun at the moment with trying to get a 1tb external hd.

I ordered a mybook studio and there is a usb/firewire conflict with my dell monitor (the usb hub/card reader) so I sent that back.

So I then ordered a lacie big disk extreme+ which got delivered today. First thing I thought was why is it so big?! I then did some research (which I probably should have done before I ordered it) and now realise its got 4 hard drives in a raid 0 config. Since I want this drive for backups it needs to be reliable - the raid 0 4 hd setup makes this drive 4 times more likely to fail than a regular HD - so I will return this drive as well.

I have looked on the apple store and found an iomega 1tb drive but then read that it is 2 hds so twice as likely to fail.

I've looked into getting an internal hard drive and an enclosure - i've found a seagate 1tb drive for £160 but now i can't find a suitable enclosure. I want it to have fw800.

Can anyone either
    1. Advise me on a good, reliable 1tb external HD suitable for backups
    2. or, point me in the direction of some decent external enclosures (3.5/sata/fw800)

bear in mind i'm in the uk so would rather order from a uk site

2. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

The Lacie D2 is a 1TB single drive setup, with FireWire 800 in addition to the usual FireWire 400 and USB. It's a good solid drive, shouldn't cause you any types of problems. Of course, if it's reliability you're looking for, the best scenario would be a redundant array, but your costs go up significantly there.

jW

3. macrumors 6502

thanks for the advice - i'll look into it. As far as reliability goes i don't think i need a redundant array, I just want the reliability of a normal HD - not of raid 0. I'm considering getting the WD mybook again and getting a separate usb hub and not using the one integrated into my monitor...

4. macrumors 6502

errol

You can always take two fw800 drives, and use apple disk utility and create a software mirrored raid with them. The FW800 drives can plug into eachother, so you wouldn't waste two fw800 ports on your mac.