External hard drive on Mac Mini as Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by danielwerner, Apr 15, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

danielwerner

Hi,

I'm looking to use my external hard drive connected to my Mac Mini as a Time Capsule? I want to backup both the Mac Mini AND my Macbook Pro (via Wifi) to this external drive.

How do I make it work? What do I enable on the Mac mini for the Macbook to find the external drive over the wifi? All guides are so confusing. Do I need to have an Airport router for this, or will it work over wifi on any router?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 603

justperry

7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano
    Open Sharing in System Preferences on the Mini, then check the File Sharing box, n the right pane add the external to Shared Folders and Add the User on the MBP as Read/Write.
    That's it, you should be able to see the Shared drive on the MBP and use it as a backup drive.

3. macrumors regular

danielwerner

Ooh, that sounds great. :) Weither I have an Airport or another router shouldn't matter, right?

Also, there shouldn't be a higher incidence in corrupted data and such with this solution? I've heard that the only thing guaranteed to work safely is a Time Capsule, but perhaps that's just propaganda?

4. macrumors 65816

I am doing the same thing, but to make the time machine reliable and bulletproof. I installed server on the mini, before server the back up would fail or take for ever to finish. No problem what so ever after installing server.

5. macrumors 603

justperry

7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano
    Nothing will be failsafe, the best solution is physically connected but even then it is never 100% but better than wireless.

6. macrumors 6502

lamerica80

Im doing the same thing too. Are there any potential problems in using the same external hard drive for time machining two macs?

7. macrumors 65816

No issues here

I have a external 2gb drive currently backing up two MacBook pros and the mini server. Running 9 months with out issue.

8. macrumors 6502

DJLC

Aside from having all your eggs in one basket, no. Time Machine will keep backups from different Macs separated on the drive.