External hard drive on windows

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kgarchar, Oct 22, 2006.

1. kgarchar macrumors 6502

So I have this lacie fw external that has two partitions. I just sold my MacBook, so one partition has my old hard drive backed up, and the other one is completely empty. I only have a windows right now, and I need to use it.

[​IMG]

i open up computer management and get to the hard drive, and since it's formatted under macintosh file system, windows doesn't recognize it. Is there a way I can get it to? also, If i choose to delete the one partition (the bigger on the right) will it erase everything on the other partition, also. I can not lose the files on the backup (70gb one)

2. ddekker macrumors regular

format

you can reformat the apple partition to windows and use the space with no fear of hurting the other partition data... there are a couple utilities that would allow your PC to read the Apple partition, and apple native can read the NTFS partition but not write to it... if you wanted to add the partitions together you would use partition magic on a PC.... not sure if such a thing exsists on mac or not..

D

3. kgarchar thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks! worked!

so if i put a video on here, and drag it from a mac, it will be able to copy the file?