External hard drive problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Solafaa, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I just got a 100GB LaCie portable external hard drive and i cant seem to get it to mount. When i tryed it on my 17" PB it would not mount but there would be a red light infront that would light up. AFter a few trys with both firewire and USB i connected the external hard drive to my PM G5 and it worked great.

I dont want to use teh external hard drive with power from the wall but rather from my PB like i did with my 80GB hard drive (same size same company). Any ideas?

2. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Try shutting down the computer and unplugging everything, even the take out the battery and letting it sit for 15 minutes.Put the battery in first and then the usb stuff (if any). After the PB has rebooted, turn the HD on and then plug in the firewire/usb.

Hope it works for you.

Cheers.

3. Solafaa thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Thanks a lot, it works. By any chance why did it not work the first time? i already tryed to restart my laptop but it did not work.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Shutting down your machine and disconnecting all FW peripherals for 5 minutes resets the FW bus, which can fix a lot of quirky FW behavior. Hopefully you only have to do it once, and not each time you disconnect...

Do you have other FW peripherals connected?