External hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by goodtimes5, Jun 27, 2006.

1. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I know this might be wishful thinking, but does anyone know why my external hard drive won't work? I don't know anything about it since it's a custom one my friend gave me, but all of a sudden it refuses to spin up and connect to the computer.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it not getting power? Have you tried a different power source or maybe a different port on your Mac? :)

3. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I know it's getting power; my computer can detect an iPod plugged in through the hard drive. I have tried different ports on the same computer and other computers. No luck.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It might be getting power but it might not be getting enough power. Is there another case you could use quickly, just to see if it's the case or the drive with the problems? :)

5. goodtimes5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

No, I don't have another case on me. The hard drive stopped working suddenly, so I don't know if the case would be the problem.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That is no indication of the drive getting power - all it means is that the data cable is passing through the data, which usually can be done even if the drive is off.

Well, you're going to have to do Something to reduce the variables. Either put the mechanism and install it in a new case, or remove the mechanism and install it in a Macintosh that has room for an internal 3.5" IDE drive (assuming that's what it is)