Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave Kay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
Hi, I bought my first mac (iBook G4) one year ago which I am very happy with. I recently bought Air Tunes and have connected this to my Netgear router and now enjoy hassle free wireless connectivity. So far, so good.
I was concerned that I could possibly loose all my music and photo files if anything ever happened to my computer so have decided to buy an external hard drive, but didn't want to loose my wireless facility. On the advise of an assistant at my local mac store, I have bought a LaCie ethernet disk mini (250Gb).
For some reason, when I have gone through the IP Configurator wizard, no drive is showing in the "Connect" screen.
Can anyone with experience of this problem point me in the right direction??

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
Hi, I bought my first mac (iBook G4) one year ago which I am very happy with. I recently bought Air Tunes and have connected this to my Netgear router and now enjoy hassle free wireless connectivity. So far, so good.
I was concerned that I could possibly loose all my music and photo files if anything ever happened to my computer so have decided to buy an external hard drive, but didn't want to loose my wireless facility. On the advise of an assistant at my local mac store, I have bought a LaCie ethernet disk mini (250Gb).
For some reason, when I have gone through the IP Configurator wizard, no drive is showing in the "Connect" screen.
Can anyone with experience of this problem point me in the right direction??

If the disk is set to get an IP address via DHCP then it should show up. If it's set to a static IP address then make sure it's address is on the same subnet (the first 3 sets of numbers of the IP address) otherwise the subnet mask will block it from being seen

Dave Kay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
That sounds great, but absolutely nothing to me!!
Thank you very much for trying to help, but sadly I don't really understand any of your reply!! I have asked LaCie for some help, there first reply was "Have you read the manual??" I am now onto my third or fourth reply with them, but don't really seem to be getting anywhere quickly. The last response they gave me claimed that in the manual it tells you to alter your system preferences on your OS. Does this mean anything to anyone? I have checked the manual on-line and not found any mention of altering settings on my OS.

Help PLEASE!!!!

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Thank you very much for trying to help, but sadly I don't really understand any of your reply!! I have asked LaCie for some help, there first reply was "Have you read the manual??" I am now onto my third or fourth reply with them, but don't really seem to be getting anywhere quickly. The last response they gave me claimed that in the manual it tells you to alter your system preferences on your OS. Does this mean anything to anyone? I have checked the manual on-line and not found any mention of altering settings on my OS.

Help PLEASE!!!!

According to tne owners manual from LaCie, it has to be either connected to the computer via USB or Ethernet. I found no mention of wireless operation.
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10594
Hope this helps.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon

Help PLEASE!!!!

Your Netgear router should assign IP addresses starting with something like 192.168.x.1 (where x is either 0 or 1). Pick a number for your Lacie that is something like 192.168.x.99 (where x is the same as before)

Section 7.3 of the user guide tells you how to assign that static IP address to your Lacie via USB.

ViljarV

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
Hi,

I had the same issue at the beginning - had set a static IP to the disk but IP configurator didn'r recognize it under OS X although Vista did well from the first time. Tried updating the firmware and newer IP Configurator, nothing. The solution is actually pretty simple - if you go to your router you'll see the IP which has been given to the disk. Copy it and go Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> type in the IP without http:// and voila, you're good to go :)
Before that don't forget to configure the disk shares and permissions, you can access it from browser with the same IP.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.