External Hard Drive Recomendation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maise, Jun 9, 2005.

1. maise macrumors member

I am looking to buy a 80 GB drive. It doesnt have to be very tiny, but at the same time I do not want a huge thing sitting on my desk. Reliability and price are the two most important qualities I am looking for. Reccomend away and thanks for your help.

2. Alisha macrumors newbie

I dont know who to recommend, but I do NOT recommend western digital. Their tech support sucks, and the warrenty is *very* limited for hard drives. Plus, I didnt like the hard drive...

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I have a Lacie (250) and a Maxtor (300).

The Lacie is loud at times.

The Maxtor is quiet.

I like both

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Get a 3.5" IDE/ATA-100 Seagate Barracuda with suitable USB2-enclosure.

The Barracudas are high quality and very quiet. You can almost not hear them when they are running, which becomes even more important when you have it lying on your desk...

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Ye that sounds good but isnt firewire better than USB2 for connecting external drives???

ShadOW :confused:

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

+1

Another Maxtor owner, the thing is pretty darn quiet and performs well over USB 2, they also have a FW version as well as hybrid drives (FW + USB2).

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, but USB2 enclosures are cheaper, many Macs (like iBooks and Mac minis) have two USB ports and only one Firewire port and USB is more compatible if you want to use the disk for sharing with PCs later...

The ideal thing is an USB2/Firewire combo enclosure, but they are even more expencive...