External Hard Drive Recommendations?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by benjamwes, May 15, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I may be looking at getting an external hard drive soon so was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I am looking for a cheap 1TB hard drive to back up my new iMac to (when I get one :D) and also one to save videos and Adobe Premiere / After Effects files to.

Thanks for any advice! :)

:apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

EHD's are like anything else, you get what you pay for. If you are storing important data then you risk losing it without a good backup plan. IMHO I'd recommend quality within reason. I'd recommend OWC (www.macsales.com) Mercury Elite Pro series.

3. macrumors demi-god

firedept

I use G-Technology drives. They are not cheap though. I would not suggest going with the cheapest drives if you value your data. I use my external drives in conjunction with Carbon Copy Cloner. This then allows me to boot from my external drive should my internal drive fail. A cheap solution is a risky thing in my opinion.

4. macrumors 6502

Costco sells 2 TB WD Mybooks for about $90. I'm happy with it as a backup disk. It's just for time machine, so I don't care that it's slow. Although, in the last 6 months or so, they've been selling USB 3.0 versions. Mine's only 2.0.

5. macrumors 6502a

Tulani

6. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll try to get the best I can but I'm on a very low budget so I guess a cheap backup is better than no backup!
    :p