External hard drive: Windows --> iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by generationxwing, Oct 10, 2006.

1. generationxwing macrumors 6502

generationxwing

I had to get an external hard drive since my local drive on my Windows laptop is now full. Hooray to an extra 300gigs!

Now, my computer is beginning to crap out on me. Hooray an excuse to buy an iMac! At least when Leopard is out. My GF's company also has a discount at the Apple store, so we'll save a couple hundred bones.

Anyway, all of my files and my GF's files are on this external hard drive. We'll need to get those files onto the new iMac, and I'd like to just plug in the HDD and go. Is it that easy?

Also, I want to use this HDD for my Time Machine backups. The specs on the website I got it from say it's compatible with Mac, so I'm hoping it's just as use to use that.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Yes. Macs can read Windows drives but it probably won't be able to write to it (which you do not want to do anyway). Time machine is part of the next version of OSX which will not be out until Spring.

3. generationxwing thread starter macrumors 6502

generationxwing

And I'll be waiting until then to buy Leopard. Hopefully a hardware upgrade will happen around the same time, too.

Once I've moved all the files over, can I format the drive to use it with time machine?

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Yes. While you are waiting you might want to read something like David Pogue's Switching to the Mac. Best wishes.