External hard drive woes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CDailey, Nov 17, 2006.

1. CDailey macrumors regular

I got my MBP yesterday and I decided to hook my external drives up to it so I could access all my pictures and music. I need to clean the drives up a little so I decided to delete some stuff, but to my surprise, I "do not have sufficient privileges" to delete the files from them drives. How is this possible? My account is the only one on this laptop, and it is the admin account. Can anyone help?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

Im pretty sure. I mean, I used them under Windows first, so they would have to be either NTFS or FAT32, right?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Probably. And you can read from but not write (and thus not rename, delete, etc) to an NTFS disk from Mac OS X (FAT disks are read/write), so I'm guessing it's an NTFS... nothing to do but clear it out and reformat, if you want write access... unless you can (temporarily) connect it to a PC and access it as a network share...

Has anyone tried accessing a NTFS disk from Windows in Parallels, BTW...? That might be an option...

5. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

I still have my PC, so I could just connect it back and clean it up there first. Thanks for the info. :)

6. AvMac macrumors member

AvMac

What format do I need to select in case I need write access to my external drive both from a PC and a MBP?

Is that possible?

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

this must be the millionth time this question was asked...

FAT32 (inherant limits: 4gb file size)

or

MacDrive installed on your PC to read HFS+

8. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I have a similar problem with an sd memory card. Got a new digital camera and had to buy a new card because my old camera used compact flash. I put the card into the card reader, move all the pics over to the computer, but I cant delete the pics in the reader. Says I dont have sufficient priviledges. There is no way to change the setting in the "get info" box either. I have to reformat the card within the camera. Not a big deal, but wondering why I cant delete when the card is in the reader.

9. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

So in order for me to write to the drive once formated under OSX, I need "MacDrive" installed on my PC?

What I am doing (it's the only thing I can think of) is cleaning the external drives off while connected to the PC, then copying the files over to the internal drive (its 200gb and hardly any of its used...my MBP hdd is only 100gb with 68gb currently left). Once I've done that, I will connect the externals to the MBP and format them, so that I can write to them, then copy the files over the network from the PC to the external drives. Will this work if I have MacDrive installed on my PC?

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not sure.. my first thought is, assuming you can get an external drive to show up for reading/writing over the network, you shouldn't have a problem no matter what format it is. Windows (without MacDrive) writes to an HFS+ boot drive just fine via the network, and contrarily, OS X writes just fine to NTFS drives over the network. I just don't know if externals will show as mountable disks.

11. mfInc macrumors member

I am having the same problem. What I got from above is that I need to reformat the harddrive to a fat32 filesystem and this will allow me to read/write instead of it being just read on the NTFS.

Is this correct?

I am just using the harddrive right now to move some things over from a Windows notebook and when done will probably reformat.

Thanks guys!

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Correct, NTFS (for all intents and purposes) is read only to OS X.

13. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, update time.

I have 2 external hard drives. One 120GB and one 80GB. I plugged the 120GB drive in, formatted it (Mac OS Extended Journaled) and it works fine. I plugged my 80GB drive in, tried to do the same thing, and Disk Utility freezes and I have to force quit it. Afterwards, the drive no longer shows up on the desktop. What have I done? I've tried this with 1 other drive and the same thing happened. Am I screwed? Can I fix this? What can I do?

14. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

I hate bumping threads, but I really need an answer here. Can anyone help?

15. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Need more info about the external hard disks:
    - Manufacturer name or are they self built
    - USB or Firewire
    - Powered from port or self powered
    - Connecting them via a hub or directly
    - Have they worked before or is this the first time you've connected them
    - Any other relevant info you can think of

16. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

The original 80GB that wouldn't format was a BUSlink CO-80-U2FS with a Western Digital "Caviar" 80GB hdd. It has USB2 and Firwire connections, as well as an SATA connection. After that drive wouldn't format, I took it out of the enclosure and stuck another 80GB drive I had in. This time it was a Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 80GB hdd. The same exact thing happened. I opened disk utility and tried to "erase" (even tried "partition") the hard drive using Mac OS Extended Journaled. I used the USB2.0 connection with both drives. The enclosure is externally powered and both drives worked perfectly fine before hand. The WD hdd that had been in the enclosure has served me as an external for my Windows machine for a little over a year, and the Seagate Barracuda hdd was previously in one of my dads old computers. It had a bunch of files on it when I plugged it in at first.

Is this enough info?

17. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If the hard disks are PATA are they jumpered as masters? Apart from that I'm not sure what is going on unless the enclosure has suddenly gone bad or you have a bent pin in the drive connector. I've used more than a dozen external hard disk enclosures of various types and never had a problem with any of them. Puzzling for sure.

18. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

No jumper means it's set as master, right? This is very puzzling. Especially since the 120GB drive formatted fine. :confused:

19. blodwyn macrumors 65816

There's a PDF of the jumper settings on this page. Looks like it ships with a cable select set as default (no jumpers). There's a warning that a special cable is needed to support CS so the one in your external enclosure might not support it. It's worth jumpering it as a master to see if that fixes it.

20. CDailey thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I set the jumper to master (on BOTH 80GB drives no less) and nothing happened. I plugged them in, no response. Restarted with them plugged in, still nothing. They don't even show up under disk utility. This is really irritating, especially since i KNOW both drives previously worked perfectly fine, AND the fact that I formatted my 120GB external drive with no trouble at all. :confused: :confused:

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, since your common link (besides the computer) is the enclosure, I'd suggest trying another enclosure. Of course, both disks could be fubar, but chances are it'll work fine in another enclosure.