External Hard Drive won't mount

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DJMastaWes, Nov 11, 2006.

1. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

So, I just got a new LaCie Porsche HardDrive (250GB). I installed the software and everything, and when I plugged it in for the first time, it worked. I transfered about 10 GBs worth of stuff, and then deleted that stuff off my computer. Now my problem is that my computer doesn't recognize the harddrive.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

2. JAT macrumors 603

Have you tried unplugging it from the computer and then plugging it back in? Cycle the power on the drive too, maybe on the computer.

3. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

okay, it now mounts, but it takes about 5 minutes to do so... any way to speed this up? 90% of my apps and all of my music are on the hard drive, so I have to wait 5 minutes before I do anything.

Also, any tips as to how I can make sure the drive doesn't crash. I would cry if I lost my music collection... and I'm not kidding.

thanks.

4. DJMastaWes thread starter macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Okay, I'm REALLY! mad. I spent $200 on this Hard Drive, I've had it for 2 days and I spent hours transferring more then 40GB worth of my files. The Hard Drive won't mount, and I don't have ANY of my files anywhere else. I Can't use any of my software or listen to any of my music. I don't know what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Okay, I just put it on a windows computer, it worked and I deleted the last files I had put on it, then plugged it back into the mac, and it works again. I guess it was a file that did that... boy did it drive me crazy (no pun intended)

Anyway, thanks.

5. JAT macrumors 603

Hope it works out. Redoing software/files can often fix stuff like this. If it comes up again, be worried about physical problems. Drives can be bad out of the box.

6. Baldanzi macrumors member

Hmmm funny... I just did a search to see what external HDs everyone is buying because I just went through 2 LaCie D2s (bought directly from LaCie)that did exactally the same thing. Now that I sent the 2nd back I'm getting a refund and buying another product.

The drive would mount fine when I first plug it in, I'd do a backup and then the next morning the drive would not mount, barely turned on, drive would not spin - but the blue light would go on. I sent the first one back, got another - exactally the same thing. This time I gave up and got a refund. I want to give LaCie the benefit of the doubt...but I'm buying a HD to backup stuff - so it needs to be reliable.:(

I could not even find the drives via system profiler (usb, fx400, or fw800)...its like they did not exist.

Now here is where the plot thickens, my g4 PB is now at applecare with power management issues. I'm sure that the LaCie did not hurt the PB...but I wonder if my power management was wacky, maybe that messed up how it saw the HD?