External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mach1child, May 21, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I had a question about using my camera connection kit to plug my external hard drive into my ipad. The kit comes with the sd card reader and a usb plug in, well couldn't i just plug my external hard drive into the usb plug in and transfer photos to the hard drive from the ipad?

2. macrumors 6502

r-sparks

I haven't got one but I'm guessing the iPad will search for a DCIM folder in the disk's root, and present to you whatever images it finds there. I suppose you could fake this with whichever images you want to upload.

Whatever the case, you're not going to break anything doing this.

3. macrumors 68020

applesith

Give it a try with a DCIM folder and let us know how that turns out.

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors 68030

It doesn't work that way. You can't even transfer photos from the iPad to SD, it only works the other way around (FROM external media TO iPad).

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well im gonna be transferring a lot of raw images, then once I'm done editing. I wanted to somehow take them off of my iPad to free space.

7. VFC
    macrumors 6502

I use the Photo Transfer app. I can transfer pictures and videos from my pc to the iPad and back. It uses my local wifi connection to move the files. Works great. I was going to buy the camera kit, but this app is far better.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

O ok cool, I'm guessing I'll have to setup my pc for file sharing?

9. VFC, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012

VFC
    macrumors 6502

No need too. It is all done using Internet Exployer. Just start the Photo Transfer app on the iPad and enter an IP address in IE. the iPad and pc (i'm running Vista) immediately detect each other.

The whole process is then controlled by clicking on icons in IE. Very easy to select files in any directory on any pc drive (including external hard drives, USB sticks, or the camera attached to the pc) and copy them to any album on the iPad. Copying files from the iPad to the pc is just as easy. There is a 200 file limit per transfer, so I had to do 5 separate transfers to copy ~ 1,000 pictures to my iPad.

BTW - Photo Toaster did a great job of editing the graduation pictures that I had transferred to the pc from my camera. The results were actually just as good as Paint Shop Pro that I use on my pc; only easier with the iPad Photo Toaster app.

10. macrumors 65816

11. macrumors 65816

+1