Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anp27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I've tested this with 2 external hard drives I own, both drives do not show up when plugged in. One is USB and the other is Firewire 800. Anybody else seeing this?

Reactions: Nicolene

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
We need more info to help.

Is Finder > Preferences > General > Show Items on the Desktop > External disks checked?

If it IS then check that the drive is being mounted. In the terminal:
Code:
ls /Volumes/

or

Code:
diskutil info -all
(And look for "Mounted Yes" under your volume

If its NOT listed there then check it is being recognised. In the terminal:
Code:
diskutil list

Last edited:
Reactions: fair winds

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
from the release notes:

Known Issues

• USB storage devices, including internal SD card readers, may become unavailable after system sleep and require either re-plug or restart to recover.
  • USB input devices may become non-functional on some Macs after several days.
  • USB 1.0, 1.1 and older 2.0 devices may not function.

parzianello

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
We need more info to help.

Is Finder > Preferences > General > Show Items on the Desktop > External disks checked?

If it IS then check that the drive is being mounted. In the terminal:
Code:
ls /Volumes/

or

Code:
diskutil info -all
(And look for "Mounted Yes" under your volume

If its NOT listed there then check it is being recognised. In the terminal:
Code:
diskutil list

My external drives and usb things are not showing up ( only my Time Machine hdd and iPhone and iPad)
I did those steps and here what it shows on my not visible samsung 500gb
what can I do?

thanks

Reactions: fair winds

parzianello

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
Hmmm. I really don't know then. USB devices are known to be problematic in El Capitan though. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.. maybe someone else might be able to chime in?

perhaps you could give me a little help pulling off the "resolved" from the title?

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

Mentalow

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
My USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 2TB hard drives (Western Digital / Silicon Power) are capricious too. Sometimes they are not detected, sometimes they drop, ... Whatever. Apple deeply modified the USB drivers, there're many weird things in system logs. Wait and see.

If your external hard drive is encrypted, you may have to use Disk Utility & unlock it - it will then be mounted. MacOS 10.11 does not always prompt me to do so.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have three disks. One is formatted with NTFS, and encrypted using bitlocker. Thus mac would never recognise it.

The other one is formatted with hfs+, and part of this disk have been reserved for encrypted time machine backup. Mac can recognise it with no issue, and windows can access not encrypted partition.

The third one is formatted with NTFS. No bitlocker, and cannot be encrypted with mac.

All three disks use normally, under either mac or Windows.

mikezielonka

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2015
I am having the same issue as you guys. I have a seagate USB3 external and no matter what I do, I can't get it to show up so that I can unlock it. :/

Reactions: parzianello

parzianello

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
I am having the same issue as you guys. I have a seagate USB3 external and no matter what I do, I can't get it to show up so that I can unlock it. :/

Yeah I have a Seagate usb3 and a Samsung usb2
only the one with time machine enabled is the one that works

Mentalow

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015

Please read my post above (#13). As I said, you may need to unlock it manually using the Disk Utility.

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
the notes for DP Beta 3 still mention this:

"Some USB devices may not mount."

SG-

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
i would guess some sort of USB subsystem re-write to handle future usb-c functionality along with optimizations for performance with the amount of data that will be going through USB stuff in the future.

Reactions: parzianello

parzianello

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2015
Hey I just updated to DP 3 and all my external drives are working perfectly ;D wish the same for you all.

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
I have a firewire drive that is attached to the thunderbolt adapter that unmount/remount itself - works fine on an non-updated machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.