External Hard Drives that Explode

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Velo-Guy, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Velo-Guy macrumors newbie

I'm in the market for an external hard drive, had a friend recently tell me about one that exploded but didn't tell me the brand.
    What external hard drive do I want?
    500 gb USB for New Airport Extreme
    Possible fan cooled

Been looking at 500 gb WD My Book Pro 800/400/USB
    also at OWC Clasic Pro 500 gb 800/400/USB
    Suggest others????? Iomega? G-Drive? LaCie?

But seriously, I've tried to get feedback on this before and had little success with forums. So, If I could get your quick 2 cents on this I would appreciate it.

2. shikimo macrumors 6502

I like LaCie drives, myself...never a problem. But what I really want are details about the hard drive that exploded.

3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

My recommendations with external drives is always to buy an internal one with a case, it almost always works out cheaper.

I have a Samsung drive inside an Icy Box FW case and it cost me much less than any pre-built drive for exactly the same thing.

WD Raptor drives have a very low failure rate, apparently.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I/O Magic actually makes a really nicely designed and durable (not a cheap plastic enclosure) 500gb USB only external and it doesn't break the bank.

If having USB only will suffice for you, i'd reccomend it, plus they use Segate drives, which is always great.

http://iomagic.com/Products/show_all_results.asp?ProdID=I500HD35
    thats the offical product page.

http://dealnews.com/deals/I-O-Magic...rive-for-170-shipped-after-rebate/155924.html
    This deal can get it to your door for 169 as long as you order by 3/3/07

Otherwise, buy your drive, then buy your encloser, especially if you want 800/400/USB, it will be cheaper.
    Good luck!

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Ahh, friends… gotta love them, eh? :rolleyes: Perhaps your friend got confused with the "exploding" Dell batteries?

Anyway. As far as externals go: LaCie all the way for me. I have 2 x LaCie 250GB D2 Hard Drive Extremes and so far they haven't "exploded" yet. ;)

I'd go for FireWire though.

6. morespce54 macrumors 65816

morespce54

yep, LaCie (2 x 160GB) but FW as much as possible. When you copy 60GB, time does matter... ;)

7. cre8design macrumors newbie

cre8design

Sorry, but this is my personal preference from a few days of research. I almost bought a lacie, I found more negative responses, than positive. AND lacie are known to be noisy from the fan.

I went with the 500 MyBook pro 800/400/usb, been using for about a month and works like a charm.

My suggestion is do a google search of the model numbers, with review in the search window and see what you find.

8. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

The thread title made be believe the original poster wanted an external HD that actually exploded.

9. shikimo macrumors 6502

:) Right on...enough helpful advice, I wanna talk about exploding hard drives. Does this remind anyone one else of the exploding penguins sitting on the television in Monty Python's Flying Circus? Were there any casualties when the hard drive exploded? Could it have been a self-destruct sequence to protect sensitive WoW secrets? Spill it!

10. JDN macrumors 6502a

I have a LaCie 320Gb 800/400/USB external. IMO it is very quiet, i never get any noise from the fan or anything. It has been very reliable, even when transferring large amounts of data. I have had it for about 6 months, and never had any problems.

I only have USB and FW400, and i honestly don't notice that much different between them in terms of transfer speeds etc.

I also have a FreeCom 160Gb USB external HD which has proved very reliable. I've had this one for about 2 years, again with no problems what so ever.