Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xyouxfailmiex

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
i have a 14" i book (60 gig) and am looking to get an external HD(someone told me it would be cheaper than trying to upgrade my HD) whats a good price to pay???..where do i find them??..you know lead me wise ones

i checked ebay didnt find much

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
xyouxfailmiex said:
i have a 14" i book (60 gig) and am looking to get an external HD(someone told me it would be cheaper than trying to upgrade my HD) whats a good price to pay???..where do i find them??..you know lead me wise ones

i checked ebay didnt find much

I would recommend Lacie.com. I bought my external from their refurb store.

Anything less than a dollar per gig is a good price on a HD, and if you look around you can beat that.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
chucknorris said:
I would recommend Lacie.com. I bought my external from their refurb store.

Anything less than a dollar per gig is a good price on a HD, and if you look around you can beat that.

I just got a Lacie Porsche, 250 GB external drive. I paid $150, which is 60 cents per gigabyte. Not bad at all. It even looks pretty nice.

Go to dealmac.com and look at the harddrive deals...wait for a really good one to pop up and then pounce on it.

I think it makes more sense than replacing your internal drive because not only does it add to your total capacity, its also easily portable to your next mac. I keep all my media stuff on there.

jonomo

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2575&CatId=531

Here's a sweet deal that someone posted earlier...

I made mine as well from an old desk top 120 giger i had.. a firewire/USB2.0 case was like 40 bux.. came with nifty little lights..

I also have a 15gig 2.0usb 1.8" drive that I took out of my Dell DJ (upgraded to ipod).. and i got a tiny 2" case from ebay for 15 bux... i use that one all the time...

i see alot of cheapy Dell DJs on ebay... buy it, take it apart.. get the case and viola!!! you have a tiny external drive....

jkandell

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2005
Tucson AZ
Build-your-own drive as quick?

debroglie said:
I'd suggest building your own external
Just buy a case and an ATA drive, and there you go!

Do cases come with firewire and usb2 connections?
Are ATA drives in external cases as quick as firewire or usb external drives?

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
When you get one, make sure it has a firewire connection (I would recommend USB2/Firewire rather than Firewire alone). Macs will only boot from external drives when connected by firewire, so if you want to use another OS or boot from a clone, you'll need your external to be connected by firewire. That seagate 300GB for $120 linked above sure looks tempting

xyouxfailmiex

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
jonomo said:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2575&CatId=531

Here's a sweet deal that someone posted earlier...

I made mine as well from an old desk top 120 giger i had.. a firewire/USB2.0 case was like 40 bux.. came with nifty little lights..

I also have a 15gig 2.0usb 1.8" drive that I took out of my Dell DJ (upgraded to ipod).. and i got a tiny 2" case from ebay for 15 bux... i use that one all the time...

i see alot of cheapy Dell DJs on ebay... buy it, take it apart.. get the case and viola!!! you have a tiny external drive....
AHHHHHH looks like i missed the deal page is expired

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.