external harddrive questions SATA and the enclosure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 1rottenapple, Jan 24, 2006.

1. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Ok so I've been reading up on SATA and their importance as to what type of HD and enclosure to use. So I am looking at SATA interfaced harddrive and to make sure that the HD is compatible with the harddrive enclosure, does the enclosure have to state that it is SATA interfaced as well? I'm not seeing the SATA interfaced on the harddrive enclosure in the products that I am viewing so any help is appreciated.

2. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Yeah, you need to have a External SATA port available to use a SATA external enclosure. I've yet to see a SATA -> USB/Firewire enclosure.

For now, everyone I know has just been buying ATA100 drives (Parallel ATA) and throwing them in an enclosure.

Or buy them pre-built. You can save a little money this way, but the drive warranty will generally be 1 year instead of 3 or 5.

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

yep - here's the pleiades one (although this must be a brand name only used in NZ and Australia, cause i couldn't see any results for it anywhere else.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Or this one:

Linky:

http://www.shopaddonics.com/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={F987546D-E1FEVERESTC-47A4-964C-8C69B00B0CDF}&ic=AEEHDSA35-R

6. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 65816

wow, sata drives are kinda expensive. Are they worth it?

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

depends what yer after - currently 500GB drives are cheaper (and more widely available) here as SATA than ATA
    personally i'm hoping the ministack/m9 will do a SATA version soon

8. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Like everyone else said...the enclosure has to have the right plug for the HD.