External Harddrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kikuchiyo, Jul 4, 2005.

1. kikuchiyo macrumors member

I'm planning on getting an iBook in the coming weeks and I was hoping to get an external harddrive for it. I'm a little worried though, as I'm going to be traveling with it and wouldn't want it to get knocked around and do some damage. Any advice?

Do you guys have any recommendations for brands (I'm looking for anything between 80 - 200GB).

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Seagate has some nice, both internal and external. Solid and quiet disks.

Just tested a Seagate 400 GB FireWire/USB2 external disk, and that was awesome...

And I'm a long time fan of Seagate Barracuda internal disks... :)

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No problems from my LaCie, though some people don't like them I guess. I suppose that's true of any brand. Mine has performed well for me, and I have no complaints.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
    [​IMG]

4. deebster macrumors 6502

Most if not all of the 'external' disks you can buy are simply a normal internal hard disk in a case. Such as Lacie, who make the case but not the HD.

I agree with Mitthrawnuruodo that Seagate drives are great, so you could easily pick up *exactly* (ie, size, speed, cache etc) the drive you want and put it in a case of your choosing.

As long as the case has an Oxford chipset and is guaranteed to accept HDs larger than 128 GB (some older ones don't) then they are all much of a muchness and it really comes down to brand perception and style.

As for durability they are pretty solid. My (Seagate) HD fits so snugly into its case that it is hard to get the thing out, so there's little chance of it rattling around in there. In fact, the damn thing is screwed in with 4 screws. :)