External HardDrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWinnipegger, Mar 11, 2007.

1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

I recently bought a MacBook. I'm a big iTunes user and have close to 80GB of content. Since my MacBook only has an 80GB HardDrive, i'm running out of place to store my stuff....Someone was talking to me about an external hard drive but i don't really know what it really is and how it works..does it attach to your laptop or something..i don't get..and do you need to take it with you everywhere u bring your laptop. please help me out..Thanks!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

an external Hard Drive attaches to you laptop through either a USB or Firewire connection You d not have to take it everywhere you use your laptop, just when you will need the files on it.

3. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

You should up grade the internal hard drive. A 200 GB drive would serve your purposes very well. You can then buy an enclosure for the original drive that came with the macbook and use it for backup purposes. Personally, I would find it to be really annoying to have your music collection another drive when using a laptop.

4. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

My thoughts exactly, I have an external drive for films which take up the most amount of room for me and have everything else, including my 10.6GB iTunes library on the internal drive. I for one couldn't live without my music always with me.

Unfortunately I cannot do what you are suggesting as I am a poor student without the money for a large internal drive.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I don't find it annoying having my Music/Anime collection on my external hard drive. I bought an iPod for portability, so I can just listen to it/watch it instead of taking around my MacBook Pro. I personally only keep my data that I need for school and regularly used programs on my internal drive and I find it working out fine for me.

6. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Another reason why I would really love an iPod.