External Hardrive, for editing movies...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macusertony, May 18, 2006.

1. macusertony macrumors newbie

Hi guys
    I am just planning to buy a external hardrive for editing, i currently using macbook pro, i just wondering what brand will be a good fit.. rougly i need at least 500GB...:)

2. skippy64 macrumors member

How about the new Maxtor's
    Maxtor OneTouch III 1TB Turbo Edition or the 600GB versions
    www.maxtoronetouchiii.com/english/index.html
    I too have just started looking around for an external HD for my Aperture work and I came across these this morning. Has anyone any experience yet of these new drives?

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Do you have a 15" MBP? If so, I'd say that just about any drive will do, since you'll only be using FW 400 anyway.

I've got a Maxtor External HD, had no problems with it so far. Then again, some people hate Maxtor. Just buy something that has a size you'll be happy with and that you don't mind paying for.

4. macusertony thread starter macrumors newbie

5. theRumorWeed macrumors newbie

Maxtor - Sleep Issue?

I have the Maxtor OneTouch III - 600GB, and I love it EXCEPT FOR...

If I don't "do" anything on the Maxtor drive for a long period of time it seems to go to sleep or something. Basically what it does is locks up or something. The drive still appears on the desktop, but when I access it folders will be seemingly missing OR will disappear when I click on them. If I try to eject the drive I get the "cannot eject selected drive... currently in use..." message.

I CAN turn off the drive (which will gives me the "improper device removal" error). Then, I turn it back on, and things will work.

The reason this is an issue is that when I am importing video clips I like to walk away from the computer while this is going on. In fact, I like to import video clips at night when I'm going to sleep. Then, I don't have to watch the screen while it's importing. However, this "locking" issue causes a couple other problems which I won't type right now (I have to do a work around which is just simply inconvenient. It works, but is inconvenient).

NOTE: I've installed the Firewire update from Maxtor, but that didn't seem to do anything. Also, I've turned OFF the "put hard drive to sleep" option for when I am doing video stuff.

Other than this issue... the drive is actually a very nice drive!

6. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Umm... Maxtor drives have a very poor reputation... look over tech forums anywhere comparign HDD... I personally shy away from them. Best drives: Seagate. I've had a bunch, never had a problem. Of course, any drive from any company can be good/bad, but you are looking at statistics. From that point of view, Seagate seems to be the thing (plus they have 5 year warranties). I'm using two external 300GB Seagates for editing on FCP 4.5 right now, and they're great.