external hardrive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by krossfyter, Feb 22, 2005.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

what brands are reputable or good? i had a maxtor but it jacked up on me.

2. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

I have a LaCie firewire 160gig external drive, and I love it.

I think I remember some people complaining of reliability issues, but I've never had any. It's fast, and as regards build quality, it's excellent.

andy.

3. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

LaCie, i have a portable 80GB modle and a 500GB in my home office and they are great, i have had 0 problems so far.

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

at the mo i'm considering a 300GB 16MB cache maxtor 7000 (firewire/usb2) or a 250GB Lacie d2(or whatevre they call them now) triple interface but has only 8mb cache. both same price. (£170).

need to see the build quality on both but i think the lacie is the one i want despite the cache

5. Eastend macrumors 6502

I use a Lacie d2 Extreme 500 Gb hooked up by Firewire 800 to a G5 works
    great and it is fast, on benchmarks it only drags a few points behind the internal. Only had it 6 months with no problems so far.

Brian

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I always recommend a Seagate Barracuda in appropriate casing (USB2, FireWire or both). Often slightly cheaper to buy seperately and the Barracudas are fast, reliable and VERY quiet...

7. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I just purchased a rosewill external case (oxford911/usb2) from newegg.com, and a 250gig WD drive. Works great, and cheaper than "retail" external drives. Rosewill also seems to have a FW800 case. They look fantastic.

Kimo

8. polyisoprene macrumors newbie

2.5 inch Western Digital 40GB, 2MB buffer, 5400 rpm, housed in a generic FireWire/USB 2.0 casing.