External HD and iTunes...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dextertangocci, Sep 28, 2006.

1. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Hi everyone

I ran out of space on my MB's HD, so I bought a 250GB Lacie external HD.

Before I upgraded to iTunes 7, I had my iTunes music folder on my Lacie, and everything worked perfectly.

Now, since I've upgraded, every time I use iTunes, my music disappeared and I have to drag the iTunes folder to iTunes for all the content to re-appear:(

But then, all the tv shows get copied to the stupid iTunes folder on my MB's HD, (that no matter how many times I delete, just re-appears!), and so do the iPod games:( But all the music and audiobooks, movies and podcasts etc stay in the Lacie iTunes folder!! How do you permanently delete that stupid iTunes folder on my MB???

But that's not all, whenever I move the iPod games back to my Lacie iTunes folder, it tells me I'm not authorised to play them:mad: Then I have to authorise them, and now it says I have authorised 3/5 computers, when I've only authorised 1:confused:

I have tried repairing permissions, but that didn't seem to work:(

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How are you moving these items and is iTunes set to manage all your song files (it is by default)? You can't get rid of the iTunes folder on your internal drive because that's where the data files are kept and they cannot be moved. However, if you change the location that your music is stored at via the iTunes Preferences (Advanced tab), then you should be able to successfully keep all your iTunes music on the external (assuming that's the location you choose for it). :)

3. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

I did change the location of my iTunes folder in the advanced settings of iTunes, but it doesn't work:confused:

4. tvguru macrumors 6502

Try holding the option key while opening iTunes 7. You can tell it where the library is.

5. dextertangocci thread starter macrumors 68000

That worked, and I've managed to delete the iTunes folder on my MB:) :D :)