External HD Apple & Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bert01, Jul 17, 2009.

1. bert01
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Hi I need some help with my western Digital External HD (about 250 gb) not being able to recognize on a windows computer. I used Utility Disk to erase the External HD space, but I can't seem to get the Windows computer to find External HD location. The external HD works fine on my iMac but not Windows. I have formatted my external hard drive way too many times but can't find a solid to solution. What should I do or how should I whip it out clean? Please. I too don't like windows but I kinda need to store some large amount data in there.

2. miles01110
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

miles01110

You have to use a format that Windows can read. Try formatting it as NTFS. You'll also need something like MacFuse that allows your iMac to read/write to NTFS.

3. spinnerlys
    Expand Collapse

spinnerlys

You need to format the external drive with FAT32, so that Windows and Mac OS X can recognize it and write to it.

If you use Disk Utility, FAT32 is called MS-DOS as Voulme Format.

[​IMG]

4. bert01
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

MS-DOS (FAT) does not work, already tried it.
    Macfuse seems good, but I won't try it yet until Tomorrow afternoon (right now its late). I notice I need to input specific key terms in the terminal in order to get my my usb drive to read NTFS. Windows is being a douche to my external hard drive. Right now i just installed MacFuse 2.0 pkg and off to bed. Its weird that my external drive use to work on Windows, but now it wouldn't.

5. spinnerlys
    Expand Collapse

spinnerlys

Do you know, what file system you external HDD has?

Also MacFuse has to be used in combination with the NTFS-3G drivers to be able to write to NTFS formatted volumes in Mac OS X.