Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skuni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
I just purchased a 1TB external harddrive to use for backing up my files, and I was wondering if there is a way to use it for all my computers I have at work.

I know that you can partition it, but will it matter if I partition the HD from my MBP vs partitioning from my PowerPC vs Debian Linux computer? My PowerPC runs 10.5 and my MBP has the newest Snow Leopard.

Ideally, I would also like to backup my Debian Linux computer on the same harddrive but it's okay if I can't do it with the macs. Is there a way to do allow all 3 computers to use 1 3-partitioned harddrive for backing up?

All help is appreciated, thanks! :)

Heavertron

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2011
UK
I just purchased a 1TB external harddrive to use for backing up my files, and I was wondering if there is a way to use it for all my computers I have at work.

I know that you can partition it, but will it matter if I partition the HD from my MBP vs partitioning from my PowerPC vs Debian Linux computer? My PowerPC runs 10.5 and my MBP has the newest Snow Leopard.

Ideally, I would also like to backup my Debian Linux computer on the same harddrive but it's okay if I can't do it with the macs. Is there a way to do allow all 3 computers to use 1 3-partitioned harddrive for backing up?

All help is appreciated, thanks! :)

I believe one HFS+ partition should be readable by all of the OS' you mentioned. Would this work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.