External HD for Video

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Trout74, May 5, 2005.

1. Trout74 macrumors 6502

I have a friend who is Film major and and was connecting his Video Camera to his computer and downloading the vdeo to his HD. His HD is 160Gigs. His Hour of Video filled up the entire HD and said could finish due to space.

For those of you in FILM Etc. what size External HD does he need? Im surprised it filled up the 160Gigs?

any thoughts
    Trout

2. djkny macrumors 6502

Well, rather than download an indiscriminate amount of footage, he should've done some prep work and find out which shots to capture via FCP, which shots were wasteful to capture, determine, esp. with offline editing, what resolution to caputure in, etc.

then the obvious question is --- how much (minutes wise) DV footage does he have?

A 160GB HD may be plenty for a 10 minute DV short, but hardly useful for a full feature.

Tell him to get at least another 160GB-200GB HD, if that's in his budget, and then list his shots, takes, etc. and see what he wants captured before overwhelming the drives...

3. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good info thank!

if its full length feature, what size drive does he need, and money is not an issue here. can you even get a terabyte external HD? would 500gigs be enough?

thanks
    trout

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

What format is he using? Standard DV stream footage comes in at around 1Gb per 4 mins of footage, so it shouldn't have taken up more than 15Gb.

If he's using DVCpro or an HD camera, then it's going to be a lot more, and there's your answer.

I'd suggest he gets the biggest HD he can afford I have a 250Gb LaCie FW800 drive for audio and video, and I have to be careful to archive projects and clear the space once I'm done, otherwise I run out of room pretty quickly.

LaCie's 500Gb drive looks good... :D

5. djkny macrumors 6502

T,
    Winter Mute gave a good rule of thumb for SD DV -- 4 minutes/1GB ratio.
    With a feature, I think he should get a set of Lacie Drives -- maybe in the 200-250GB range. They're going for only $180-$200 nowadways.

Lacie makes TB drives, too, but I tend to resist putting all my footage "in one basket." I think the 500GB drives run in the $350-$400 range, now? A TB drive, probably double that.

I remember when I bought my 40GB Ez Quest HD for $260! (seems like only yesterday).

Users will recommend a ton of other brands (including building a HD yourself, etc.) so feel free to make the best judgment. But I know Lacie's are solid for video editing --- I'm a ny based filmmaker and many of my colleagues use Lacie's with their G5's to cut their shorts.

peace.

6. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok more info.

The software he is using is Avid Express Pro. He is running on a PeCee, but the meat of the issue is the same.

is there a setting in the software that compresses or something?

according to him he has 5 minutes of DV downloaded and it is taking up over 100gigs, is that even possible?? I really dont know anything about this, im just trying to help him, and know there are film guys on this site.

p.s. I told him to buy a Mac, he says he just might, if we cant figure it out :)

thanks
    trout

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

He may well be importing at Broadcast quality in Avid, even the Express version, check the import or capture settings and if there's an option for an "off-line" edit, then choose that, it should import using DV Stream.

What camera is he using?

8. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

A cannon DV camera, I think were getting closer here.
    ill check it out on Saturday, an dreport back.

thanks for your time today,

Trout

9. dummptyhummpty macrumors regular

10. enclave macrumors member

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute