External HD, Ipod, MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scornos, Jun 26, 2006.

1. scornos macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2006
    Sorry for the obscure thread title but it somehow fits. I have an external harddrive which holds my 15GB of songs. I just got my MBP today and all I wanted to do was take the songs from the external and port them over to my Ipod. Itunes instead copied all the songs from my external to my computer then updated my ipod. Is it possible to remove all the songs from my macbook pro and just use my ipod to play the songs??

Thanks for the help. Yes i am a new mac switcher lol.
  2. cherry38 macrumors member

Mar 20, 2006
    Are you just looking to get them off of your MBP? If that's the case, an easy way to do it is to just delete them from iTunes. Make sure your iPod is not set to automatically update when plugged into the computer, because if it is it will delete all the songs on your iPod since you removed them from iTunes.

When you delete the files from iTunes (if you click on one file you can then choose 'Select All' from the edit menu...then just hit delete), it will confirm the removal and then it will ask if you want to Keep the Files or Move to Trash...move them to the trashcan, empty it, then you are all set. Enjoy your new MBP, you bought a great computer :D
  3. scornos thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2006
    thanks so much man i appreciate the quick reply :)

I am extremely happy with my purchase lol