External HD link, please suggest the best deal

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kwajaln, Feb 4, 2005.

1. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

I would appreciate it if some of you would check out this link and give your recommendations:
    http://www.lacie.com/products/clearance/products/?id=10007
    It's for the clearance section on the Lacie website. I recently purchased an iBook G4/1.2GhZ/30GB HD. I know that I will need more hard drive space before long and I would rather get an external than have a larger HD installed. I really like the pricing in this clearance section, but I am not familiar with some of the differences in models as I have never owned an external. For example, is it worth the price to get Firewire instead of USB 2.0? I plan to use most of the space for music and will probably not be adding any software to the iBook, other than the iLife '05 upgrade, which I ordered yesterday. So, is there a standout model on that site, or do you have a better suggestion? Thanks in advance!

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The 250 Gb D2 seems like a great deal. Today I just received a brand new 160 Gb D2 and I paid USD 200 for it from Apple. I spent a lot of time researching drives and although the Porsche designed ones are appealing, they don't seem to have the same quality as the D2s. I would highly recommend the triple interface with USB2/firewire 400/800. The drive should last a long, long time, probably as long or longer than your iBook and Firewire seems to be the future. If you get a USB2 only drive, then its usability may be limited in the future.

3. kwajaln thread starter macrumors 6502

kwajaln

I definitely agree about Firewire and not getting a USB-only HD. A problem I have been running into looking for externals is I have not found one that does not have negative reviews. More than any other piece of computer equipment I have bought or looked at, there doesn't seem to be a single external hard drive that stands out or doesn't have its own negative user reviews. I've been looking at reviews of mainly the Maxtor OneTouch and OneTouch II, and the Lacie D2 Extreme and I'm a little concerned that there are 1/5 star and negative reviews for both. Thoughts??

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Lacie D2/Big Disk Extreme HDs are excellent, particularly on FW800.
    Robust, elegant case design. Worth every penny.

Am just about to get a 1 terabyte model for network/off-site backup...

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Woah - $95 for a 160gb external drive is a great deal, even if it is USB2 only. I'd be tempted if I wasn't about to spend every extra penny I have on a new Mac =p

Rob

6. kwajaln thread starter macrumors 6502

kwajaln

I would LOVE to have one of the FireWire 800 HDs, but the iBook I just got and iMac G5 I will be getting don't have 800 . . . :( And I seriously doubt that the next revision of the iMac will have FW800.

7. GetGo macrumors regular

Question on External hard Drives

Which is faster Firewire or USB 2.0?

Also what does the 2.5" refer to when I look at mini external hard drives. I am looking for the smallest case for my external drive.

Thanks

8. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

My advice would be to piece together your own. Just this week I picked up a 120GB Maxtor Desktop drive for $60 at CompUSA. I think the deal is on through this weekend. I paired it with a Firewire/USB 2.0 enclosure for an extra $50.

For $110, I walked away with a very nice external drive that works over Firewire or USB. Also, when the drive does fail (and the all do eventually) I won't throw away the enclosure like with a LaCie. I'll just find another desktop drive deal somewhere and save a bunch of money.

My 2 cents.

9. deebster macrumors 6502

On paper USB 2.0 is faster, but it cannot maintain its speed as well as firewire does. USB 2.0 seems to transfer in surges.

And on Macs it also seems to be not as fast as on PCs, so I would always ensure you get firewire. If you end up with a 3-way connecteable HD (USB 2.0 / FW 400 / FW 800) you will then have the choice now and in the future, as has been said.

10. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

I just bought a 500gb d2. I couoldn't be any happier. In film school we used lacie drives, I thought they would be cheesy and break and die rather quickly considering they were in a blue plastic case and well, didn't look to be of very good quality. Funny thing is, out of about 20 of them, none ever died, broke or crashed. These newer d2 drives are even better. I totally suggest getting the triple interface d2 drives!!!!

dustin

11. kwajaln thread starter macrumors 6502

kwajaln

I ended up passing on the clearance specials LaCie had. I did buy from them, but I got a 40GB mobile HD (3x5x0.65 inches), mainly because I need the small size to carry with my iBook. But I will definitely check their clearance page when I buy a desktop external in a few months!