External HD not Detected

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jwatkins1234, Jan 28, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a problem with a western digital 1TB external hard drive.

It began when I (stupidly) connected the wrong power lead to the hard drive- as a result the drive could not be powered up.

After reading on various forums that I was not the first to do this I found people had recovered their data by replacing the pcb I did a little research and found a company who could supply a cloned version from my original pcb to make it compatible to my own drive.

I received the new pcb today and when attached to the drive it can be heard to power and spin which is a good sign however my mac book pro is not detecting the drive in finder or in disc utility- after various attempts I did get a short message saying something about not being recognised but this only appeared once of the several times I have connected it.

Can anyone give me some advise on what else I can try to recover the data?

Many thanks,

Joe.

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Can you see the device through Disk Utility? Perhaps it needs formatting before you can use it.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi- No it does not show in Disk utility either :(

4. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

In this case, there is still likely something wrong with the external HDD. I'm assuming there is no warranty left on it, right? You may want to double-check all your PCB connections and/or seek another replacement PCB or HDD.

----------

Also double check the PCB part number. I've replaced them on HDD's in the past, and have been sent a similar replacements, but not an exact replacement which didn't work and had to get them to send the correct exact replacement.