External HD or RAM for Ibook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dynamyk, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I only have enough money for one. As the Ibook will be my only computer for University I'm debating between an external HD to up my remaining space which is only 12 Gigs @ this point, or getting another 1 Gig stick to put in. All I'm doing with this comp is Surfing, Downloading Music, Chat, Word Processing and maybe the occasional game of Warcraft 3. Is the extra RAM that necessary or should I go for the external HD to help store my music

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Well, if it's running everything fine, you might just want to get the hard drive for the extra storage space. If you notice it's been lagging, then maybe you should look into the extra RAM instead.

3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

its a no brainer....get an external hard drive. if you only do the things u stated..512 should be enough. how can u live with yourself seeing only 12gigs of free space?? i get goosebumps if i ever get that low... have u tried uninstalling languages? printer drivers?? apps u dont use?? i was down to like 13 gb free....but then cleared about 10gb after deleting stuff like that.

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Another vote for the external hd. As others have stated, with what you are doing the ram will probably not make that big of a difference. Get a nice, big external drive. They are great for making backups of your system, not to mention all of the papers/assignments/projects that you accumulate at university. And on that note, backup school work (or anything critical) often! Later on, if you come into a few hundred dollars, then look at buying some more ram.

Good luck at uni!

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Another vote for the external HD

More RAM is always nice, but if you don't already have external storage, get some now!

As others have pointed out backup early and backup often. Remember that the data on your iBook is always at risk. It could fall off a balcony :eek:, or more likely your desk. Or even worse it could get stolen, like my wife's iPod mini. :mad: At least if you have a backup on an external drive at home you are somewhat protected.

Personally I back up to a network drive, but the principles remain the same.

B