External HD Problem. Please Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MBP123, Mar 5, 2007.

1. MBP123 macrumors regular

So I have an external hard drive (firewire), that is connected to my macbook. it works all the time, except if i have to manually power the computer off by holding the power button down if it freezes or something like that. so i woke up this morning, and the computer was off (im guessing the power went out, but i have the hard drive plugged in to a surge protector, which is plugged in to another surge protector). so the hard drive wont mount on my desktop

the problem has happened before. all i have to do was download and run the demo of data rescue 2, which detects the hard drive (disk utility does not detect it, but just keeps spinning when i open disk utility). but when i click recover in data rescue 2, it will mount on my desktop after about 20 seconds of attempted recovery, but now it is not. the hard drive powers on fine and everything, and data rescue does detect it, which it always has in the past even if it wouldnt mount or disk utility wont detect it. but now it just wont mount. any ideas?

2. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I have had a problem where my external wouldn't mount, when I removed my USB stick, the external mounted.

3. MBP123 thread starter macrumors regular