External HD question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iAussie, Jan 11, 2007.

1. iAussie macrumors member

I'm hoping someone could please help me, I havent been able to find any info so far, despite the numerous hard drive threads on here (and yes, sorry to be starting another one!)

I have an USB external hard drive, currently formatted as FAT32 so I can plug it into the Windows computer if need be, its just got assorted media files and a few important folders that I've just manually backed up to there, but more importantly, also my Aperture vault.

I know one limitation of FAT32 is the 4GB file size limit, but there's also a limit to the length of file names too, isnt there? The reason I ask is that should I need to copy files back to my Mac (eg restoring from my Aperture vault), arent some of the files going to have 'corrupted' filenames, in the sense that they're not the same filenames as they orignally were? In which case, programs like Aperture would be looking for a file thats now got a new name and (I assume) not be able to find it.

If anybody could enlighten me, that'd be greatly appreciated!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It depends how you got the files there in the first place. If you used Finder then it wouldn't have let you copy the files across in the first place so you would already have seen a warning or an error box. :)