External HD question?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by markjones05, Dec 9, 2003.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I am trying to install FCP4 on my external HD so that I can work on my project at home and at school. At school they use avid and media 100 and not FCP. But when i try to install it on my external HD it says that it cant and it can only install to your bootable drive. Is there anyway to fix this?

2. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

you need to install...

the OS on the external drive (firewire only) after that make sure the HD Master jumper setting is set properly like this:
    ::::::::::*:::::::::: I___****
    where (****) are the energy connectors and I is the position of the jumper in order to be a master drive.
    once you have this done you need to reboot into this drive and now you are set to use it, or if not try connecting the drive to the host computer and attempt to open the app while in external mode?

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    no need to change the jumpers if it is an external drive. just install the os and you *should* be good to go. panther might not like being installed for machine a and run on machine b.

4. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

okay i tried to install jaguar on my external hd a few weeks ago and somehow it installed on my internal hd overwriting panther. This was a huge pain in the ass and i want to make sure this doesnt happen again. Is there anyway of ensuring that panther/ jaguar installs on my external firewire hd properly?

And how would i do about booting from the external hd and then switching back to booting from the internal hd?

5. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Well, to install an OS on your FW hard drive you have to select the FW hard drive when the OS install screen comes up. If you did that and it still overwrote your boot disk, then Im afraid I cant help you much.

6. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

when the Installer launches...

it asks in what Volume you would like to install it, this detail you cannot miss, also you may customize it(install all less the support languages,etc) The OS does not install randomnly, you dictate where it is installed, you need to boot from the disk and then select what drive. once installed you go back to host computer and under the S.prefs>Start-up disk>select the External FW drive>restart, set-up accounts etc. Now the detail about the jumpers is just extra info, if your computer sees the drive then the jumpers are correct, the info was given out of my own experience with enclosures and loose drives, if you ever come across a drive that cannot be seen just look at the jumper configuartion. Remember you cannot fly through the initial installation without looking carefullt at what you initiate.

7. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Okay so i go to install panther on the hd and it says that i already have an os installed on the hd.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
  8. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I have no idea how panther got installed on my external hd and im thinking this is a mistakes so i restart the computer and go tto startup disks and sure enough i am able to boot panther from my external hd... So now i have 2 questions.

1. How did panther get installed on my external hd? I disconnected my external while installing panther on my machine and no one else uses my computer.

2. If i need an OS installed on my external HD in order to install fcp onto it, why cant i do it since i obviously have an os installed on it somehow?....

Attached Files:

9. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

one way you install...

FCP into the computer is when you have booted from the drive and install it from there, if not you may be able to install it from the host computer, the thing is being able to open the application using your external drive in external drive-mode
    if this does not work you may have to boot from the drive and see if the app opens up(you may test this at home) As to how you drive has Panther already installed: several theories, someone returned the drive to the store which you in turn bought or it may still have invisible files pertaining to Panther in just such case you clean install it, you may have transfered systems files by mistake or gone to Disk Utility and adjusted something and last you may be right that the system could of copied over the external drive via a Back-up utility such as deja-vu or retrospect? or the system is running a RAID of sorts that you are unaware and everything that main drive gets the external recieves it aswell,(who knows what are the effects of the firmware updates from Lacie) keep posting: Mario

10. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

I see you already have plenty of items in the drive...

in that case no clean install.:(