external HD recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brettsinger, Jan 15, 2007.

1. brettsinger macrumors member

Anything you've had a good experience with, or a bad one? I want something that'll work with both my PC and Mac, preferably 500GB. Thanks.

2. clairejr macrumors newbie

I use 2 EZQuest drives and I love them. They're fast, reliable and durable. Also, the company provides excellent email service.

http://ezq.com/index.php?cPath=21

I don't (yet) have one of the EZQuest Monsoon drives but I've read favorable reviews of them.

I also have a Maxtor One Touch II drive and I don't like it as much as the EZQuest drives because it gets very hot if it's continuously running. Maxtor also provides good email service.

Claire

3. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

I am really suprised with WD externals they have gotten their stuff together. I bought a my book pro 500 gig triple interface to go with my iMac and its great. Esp with fw 800/400 and usb all in one unit and i picked up mine off buy.com for 239.00 cant beat that with a stick. Very quiet enclosure and runs cool

4. brettsinger thread starter macrumors member

Good recommendations, thanks.
    This is on sale at Buy.com, $109:
    http://tinyurl.com/yeqrjt
    LaCie 320GB. One complaint in the comments about the power cord. Anyone like/dislike these models?

5. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

I'll second the My Book comments. I only have the middle line model (firewire 400/usb 2.0) and have had no problems. Now that I've moved up to the Mac Pro, I could have used the 800, but such is life (I've a few drives in that puppy, so it's not the end of the world that I don't have fw 800). I've got two 250 gig externals and got them each for around 100 bucks.

cheers.

6. brettsinger thread starter macrumors member

pleasantly surprised to hear that about the My Book drives. I think I'll pick one up. Thanks.

7. clairejr macrumors newbie

My Book as boot drive?

Can the My Book you have be used as a boot drive for Mac OS X 10.4? I'd like to get another drive to use as a backup for my other externals and as a boot drive for my old iBook, and I'm trying to decide between another EZQuest or a My Book Premium (the drive you have). How hot does the My Book get if it's running constantly for five or six hours? My Maxtor runs very hot, but my EZQuest portable, with no fan, stays cool even when it's on all day. Thanks.

Claire

8. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Seagate supposedly has a good reputation for durability. Hence my purchasing one of their external HDs to back up my huge photo collection.