Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlecho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
hey guys...yep, like all of us, out of HD space. SO i have ordered a new 200gb drive. A friend of mine said i should think about installing an OS onto this drive, in case i should need to boot from it....hmm, what does this mean? should i do it? and what are the pros/cons. The original intent of this drive was for web media, picts, etc.....any help is appreciated!

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Is it an external/internal?

Assuming that its external, it would have to be firewire enabled to be booted from. In your situation I suggest that you use the larger drive to store your media files and keep your system files on the current drive.

If you want to install the OS on the external, which I don't recommend except for emergencies, boot from your install disc. Follow through the installer, but point the target installation to your external drive.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mlecho said:
hey guys...yep, like all of us, out of HD space. SO i have ordered a new 200gb drive. A friend of mine said i should think about installing an OS onto this drive, in case i should need to boot from it....
Yes.

It means that if you want to do repairs on your internal, or if it goes all bozo on you, you can start the machine from the external hard drive (make sure it is Firewire). I don't see a downside to this. You can use Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper I think to make a bootable clone of your existing system. If you haven't already, first run DeLocalizer to delete about 900 Mb of foreingn-language resources from your OS.

mlecho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
CanadaRAM said:
You can use Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper I think to make a bootable clone of your existing system. If you haven't already, first run DeLocalizer to delete about 900 Mb of foreingn-language resources from your OS.

yes, it is a firewire external drive. So, back to the cloning....do i simply clone it, and that will also install the OS? or must i first install the OS to the external, and then clone?- sounds like i can just pull this drive from the box, format it, and run CarbonCopyCloner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.