External HD though Airport Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tomaz, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Tomaz macrumors 6502

I was wondering if it's possible to connect an external USB harddrive to the Airport Express connector and access it wirelessly ?
    Anyone knows how to do that?
    Thanks, Tom

2. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, thanks for the answers everyone, you saved my day ! :rolleyes:

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I don't think anybody has tried that, since it would be relatively pointless.

4. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

I would like to access music files on this external HD from both my laptops from anywhere within the house? Why is that pointless?

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Now there's a way to encourage people to help you in the future. Perhaps no-one spotted it who knew the answer...

And no, you can't. The USB port will charge an iPod or work with a printer but not with a HD.

6. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it worked with you ;)

Thanks for the answer, so it seems I have to get a ethernet ready HD and connect it to my router in order to have the same effect.

Thanks again. :)

7. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Either that, or build (or buy) a cheap used computer, throw a copy of Windows server on it, connect the hard drive to it and share the drive over the network. That's the solution I chose.

8. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Would be a solution, but i swore (no myself) to never allow a windoze computer in my household anymore. Mini's are cheap though...hmmm :cool:

9. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

No need for windows... or an expensive mini.

If you've got an old PC laying around put freeNAS or a linux distro on it. FreeNAS basically makes the PC into a network attached storage device and is super easy to set up. Linux is a little bit harder, but once you get samba configured it's not too bad. That's what i've got at home and it works great.

If you're really set on a mac, buy an old G3 or G4 tower and use that. There's more internal space then in a mini, you can put a PCI raid card in, and the whole thing will be pretty cheap.

10. Tomaz thread starter macrumors 6502

That's actually a pretty good idea!!

11. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Remember that the maximum speed of 802.11g (Airport) is about one 1/7th of the maximum speed of wired USB (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you're using your Airport network for other stuff too (music streaming, Internet access), that will bring the speed down further.

I don't know how much of a headache this would be to you, but its something to consider before you rush out and invest in Network Attached Storage.

HTH
    SL