External HD won't spin down

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Steven1621, May 29, 2006.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I recently got the OWC enclosure listed in my sig. Even after changing the power settings in System Preferences, it never spins down when idle. Is there something else I can do to fix this? Is it an issue with the enclosure?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I have the same issue with my backup drive (USB2.0 Hotway enclosure). On the other hand my G-Tech scratch disk spins down no problem. I've assumed it's a enclosure thing.

Any word from OWC support?

3. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

a quick search of the site turned up nothing. i'll check more if macrumors comes up dry.

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I don't think the computer can actully tell the external drive to spin down. The only thing it can do, really, is shut off the USB power. Which would not affect the drive because it is most likely plugged into the wall. Its possible for a computer to send a command to spin down, but there would need to be an appropriate driver for that. I had an external drive that used to spin down too, so maybe it was a command the computer sent, or maybe it just powered down automatically when no usb connection was present?

5. Steven1621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

yeah the lacie drives that i use at school all seem to power down after a certain amount of time. it seems to be some sort of driver matter.