External HD: XP and Panther, Can we get along?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kenyabob, Nov 23, 2003.

1. kenyabob macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2003
    San Francisco
    I have an external hd and disk utility wont format, but Partition Magic on the PC will. So if I have the Fat32 format, I can put any file from my pc on it, plus any file that I imported from my pc to my mac FROM MY MAC to the HD. If I try to copy my files from my mac, documents applications etc, it tells me that some characters cannot be displayed. Also if its a zip or something simple, it will tell me that contents cannot be read or written. I cant win! Any ideas? I really need something that can switch between the two comps. If I could only get the mac to copy to hd I WOULD BE IN BUSINESS. Thanks in advance...
  2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Hmm.. that's kind of strange, a FAT32 drive should be fine. The weird thing is when I back up my mac files on a PC, it usually gives me the same error that characters cannot be displayed, so I usually make a disk image out of them... but sorry I can't help you more...
  3. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    dont know if your willing to spend any money but this is how i have ti set up. i have my firewire hard drive formatted as hfs+ and i have mediafour's macdrive 5 installed on my xp machine and it reads and writes to it just fine, its very convienent.

4. snofseth macrumors member

Jun 23, 2003
    I Have the same problem kind of I use my Ipod on my mac but I need to back up files on my moms computer, but whenever I plug it into the pc it want to reformat. I also need to put the files on my mac to burn a copy but the mcac is fussy and wont let me copy any easy solution
  5. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2003
    For the iPod format it in Windows as whatever it wants. I bought an iPod for windows with no plan of ever connecting it to a PC. I knew the mac wouldn't care what format it was so incase I ever got a Firewire card for my PC it would be able to read the format.