External HD: XP and Panther, Can we get along?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by kenyabob, Nov 23, 2003.

1. kenyabob macrumors regular

I have an external hd and disk utility wont format, but Partition Magic on the PC will. So if I have the Fat32 format, I can put any file from my pc on it, plus any file that I imported from my pc to my mac FROM MY MAC to the HD. If I try to copy my files from my mac, documents applications etc, it tells me that some characters cannot be displayed. Also if its a zip or something simple, it will tell me that contents cannot be read or written. I cant win! Any ideas? I really need something that can switch between the two comps. If I could only get the mac to copy to hd I WOULD BE IN BUSINESS. Thanks in advance...

2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Hmm.. that's kind of strange, a FAT32 drive should be fine. The weird thing is when I back up my mac files on a PC, it usually gives me the same error that characters cannot be displayed, so I usually make a disk image out of them... but sorry I can't help you more...

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

dont know if your willing to spend any money but this is how i have ti set up. i have my firewire hard drive formatted as hfs+ and i have mediafour's macdrive 5 installed on my xp machine and it reads and writes to it just fine, its very convienent.

iJon

4. snofseth macrumors member

I Have the same problem kind of I use my Ipod on my mac but I need to back up files on my moms computer, but whenever I plug it into the pc it want to reformat. I also need to put the files on my mac to burn a copy but the mcac is fussy and wont let me copy any easy solution

5. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

For the iPod format it in Windows as whatever it wants. I bought an iPod for windows with no plan of ever connecting it to a PC. I knew the mac wouldn't care what format it was so incase I ever got a Firewire card for my PC it would be able to read the format.