External HD - XP & OXS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aaronfzr, Oct 4, 2006.

1. aaronfzr macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    hi there,

assuming the drive is correctly formatted, say HFS (as my drive would be too big for fat32) is it possible to store & run applications/files for both OSx and XP?

If not, is it possible to create 2 partitions on the external drive, one hfs & the other ntfs/fat32?

2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2006
    Windows cannot read HFS+ formatted drives, so it will have to be Fat32. But yes, you should be able to create 2 partitions and have one HFS and the other FAT32/NTFS. Be aware that OS X can both read and write to FAT32, but it can ONLY read NTFS. Windows can read and write both, but it can't even read HFS.

Your other choice would to be to install some third party software that allows Windows to read HFS+.
  3. aaronfzr thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2006
    Running Apps on external HD

thanks for your response, sounds like 2 partitions is the way to go.

Will applications & games run OK, if they're installed on an external drive? Someone told me that it will only affect the loading time of programs, not their performance. is that true?

thanks again for your help,

4. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

May 23, 2006
    Windows XP and 2000 won't let you format a FAT32 drive bigger than 32GB. FAT32 supports volume sizes up to 2TB, which I'm assuming your external HD is smaller than.

Use a third-party formatting tool (may have to be run in DOS) or see if OSX can format the entire drive as FAT32.