Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t1rider321

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2005
im getting a lacie 250g external firewire drive for my mine, can i run my whole os off of it and not use the internal drive at all?

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
the computer will recognise it as a standard internal HDD, meaning you can put whatever files and do exactly the same things with it as a normal, internal HDD. :)

t1rider321

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 8, 2005
Artful Dodger said:
Just a Q, are you wanting to do this because you have a slower HDD now and want to bump up your speed?
yes, i have a mini would me getting a 7200 rpm connected by a firewire show improovement or will the firewire connection slow it down

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
t1rider321 said:
yes, i have a mini would me getting a 7200 rpm connected by a firewire show improovement or will the firewire connection slow it down

in my personal experience, its about equal. but give it a go and see how it works for you.

darioc

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2006
is this the case w/ all external HDs? i have an acomdata 180G external HD. will it do the same? do you have any handy links that explain this more? thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.