External HD?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tobio, Mar 17, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

tobio

I just read through the instructions and am looking forward to trying this out, unfortunately I am away at my parents all weekend so I will have to wait until next week. :(

However one thing struck me while reading about all the partitioning business.

Couldn't you make your life a lot simpler and install either Windows or OSX (or both) onto external Firewire or USB hard disks?

[Just noticed that someone else raised this point before me, I missed it on my first sweep through the forums]

2. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There has been some other threads mentioning that Windows will not boot from a Firewire disk. And very few Macs (non of the current ones, AFAIK) will boot from USB. So the answer must be: Probably not... :)

3. macrumors 65816

c-Row

Apparently FireWire isn't supported by the Windows install routine. USB however might be completely different. The issue has been brought up within several other threads, maybe you want to check those as well.

[edit] Ah, mere seconds too late... :D

4. thread starter macrumors regular

tobio

I had no idea that intel macs didn't boot from firewire anymore (ignoring windows for a second)

My powerbook is perfectly happy to do so, and I always saw it as a really good way to test out things exactly like this. I haven't had my mini long enough to try it, but its a real shame if that function is gone.

5. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think they will boot into OS X from a Firewire disk... just not Windows... :)

6. macrumors member

Could you please link to the thread mentioned above about booting XP off a USB2 drive?

7. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

8. macrumors member

9. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In that thread I mentioned that USB booting support in Windows is usually a function of the BIOS not the OS, so it would have to be implemented in EFI.

These macs purprotedly won't even boot OS X from USB, so the chances are slim, unless narf and blanka introduce specific USB support into their solution.

B

10. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not likely since most current Macs won't boot from USB disks at all (as I said earlier in the thread)... :rolleyes:

11. macrumors newbie

Intel Macs EFI support USB booting

According to Apple Reps at MacWorld, the new Intel Macs support Firewire booting and USB booting through EFI, though I've yet to see someone test it.

12. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

That would be great... anybody out there with a new Intel Mac and a USB2 disk that would care to try...?

I could boot my Pismo from a USB disk, but not my iBook. It would be great if that was an option again... :)

13. macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah I have an intel iMac and a USB to IDE adapter. But, I'd have to install Mac OS X with the discs that came with my iMac to the HD, I don't have enough space on the HD to do so. But, I'll look around to see if I can find a hard drive big enough to install Mac OS X on it, I can probably take out the extra languages etc but, we'll see what happens.

...Now it's off to find a hard drive :D

14. macrumors newbie

Windows XP is not capable of booting from USB or FW drives as these interfaces are re-initialized late in the booting sequence, thus cutting the drive off from the boot process.

Edit: Apparently, someone has figured a way around this problem:

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

15. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wow, that's wild since it essentially only involves minor edits to some text files and no new binaries. Makes you wonder why Microsoft doesn't just make similar edits.

The ability to boot a full Windows OS off of USB 2.0 or FireWire would be a great boon to system administrators and other troubleshooters.

B

16. macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

you say "most", what are the exceptions?

17. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm just covering my back with that "most"... ;)

I've not seen a Mac boot from USB since my Pismo, and that's hardly current anymore, right...? But I've not tried all models (naturally) so I'm just relying on what I've heard (i.e. read) about USB booting here and elsewhere online... :)

18. macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

All Intel iMacs can boot from USB. I know this because I've done it a few times. I assume that the MBPs and Mac minis can boot from USB as well.

19. macrumors 68000

iEdd

Okay, so I have a 160gb drive in my intellimac and I have a FW400 only external 200GB, which I wanted an exact mac system backup on and 40GB for windows. Is there no hope for me?
    Unless a USB->FW adaptor could work... Or I just buy a cheap external USB 2 drive..

20. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Cool... there were some whispers about it but this is the first confirmation I've seen... Thanks... :)

21. macrumors newbie

See this thread at onmac.net -- I tell of my first attempt installing onto an external USB drive, using the tips from the ngine.de website:
    http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?p=3822

Please post any further suggestions or comments on my attempt there.