External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by stoid, Apr 30, 2002.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I want to get an External FirwWire HD to use for video projects/editing. What should I look for, and where can I get one for cheap. (I think that 60GB or so should be big enough?)

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

OtherWorldComputing.com has decent prices.

I got my 40GB drive from there awhile back, and have had no problems with it.

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Depends on if you want ultra portable, or vast storage. I have had great results from my 30GB VST thin drive. If you want more GB for the $$ then get the full height drive. Those require AC adapters, where the thin don't.

I have had no problems with VST external drives.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

other world computing is good indeed...

they have 120 gigs for 309 full height 7200 rpm firewire...

that's bigger than you want/need but that's a sample of their pretty good pricing...

all depends what you need i guess.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My advice, don't skimp on the gigs, its all relatively cheap. Use the internal drives as the main scratch disks and keep all the non realtime playback files on the external. 60 gigs will fill up before you know it. But hey, if you need to go cheap, you can always buy another one later.

7. MacLuver23 macrumors member

try this...

I bought a Maxtor 80 (or 60 or 40 if you like) GB hard drive from thenerds.net, use the site streetprices.com to find the best prices on the internet. I think my hard drive is good, it has 2 firewire ports and all the software you need, it also supports OS X. I use it for video editing and its great!:D

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

One thing you might want to consider doing is getting a FireWire enclosure for an ATA hard drive. You can then install just about any ATA hard drive you want (get the brand you like best). There are some that support the 160GB drives, but pretty much all of them support the 120GB drives. I did this for a spare 40GB ATA drive that I had hanging around. It also has two FireWire ports on it, and has a nice shiney metallic look to it (clear plastic over the metal). I got mine from OWC, since they had good pricing, and I liked the looks of it the best of all offered.

If you go that route, you can get the enclosure and then wait for the hard drives to go on sale that are local to you. You can also stack them just like any other FireWire drive/device.

Might be the best of both worlds for you.

9. iGav macrumors G3

I have the 80Gb Maxtor aswell..... seems okay, it's almost a year old now..... although it buzz's like a fridge...... I need to get Maxtor to change it!!!

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

In terms of speed, all work fine for DV.... just get a Firewire drive.... as for how big - get the largest you can afford.

for vendors... I'd recommend at least considering PowerMax.com - as they are a site sponsor and help support this site... :)

arn

11. TypeR389 macrumors member

I agree with Alpha, I just did this from scratch a few weeks back, got a 120GB WD 8MB 7200RPM for $220 shipped from googlegear.com and a nice looking clear oxford911 enclosure for about $110 from cooldrives.com Less then $350 for everything, and the enclosure looks sweet, and the drive as even better. Very fast and VERY quiet, overall I am very happy, though you maybe able to beat the prices now, these things seem to change by the hour!