External HDD and Timemachine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Messenger, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Messenger macrumors newbie

I've got a few questions, I have been looking at external harddrives, and I've decided to buy an enclosure for two drives. I'll add one 500GB drive first, and when Leopard comes out I'll buy another one for Timemachine. This is the enclosure that I've been eyeing: the OWC Mercury Elite Pro -AL RAID FW800 Drive Enclosure for 2 SATA Drives.

Question specifically about the above inclosure.
    Can I start off with just one 500GB drive, and buy another one when I need the space? I would want both the drives in the same enclosure but I want to be able to access them both individually. Making a standard drive for files and whatnot, and the other for back-up.

Not related to the enclosure.
    Let me give you an example to illustrate my question.
    I edit movies and make 3D animations. For now 500GB seems like enough storage. When Leopard comes out, and I buy another 500GB drive for Timemachine, I would want Timemachine to back-up the files that are on my Macbook Pro HDD, as well as the files and projects that are on the external drive. Is this even possible?

Will Timemachine back-up the files, projects and all the data related to the projects FROM the external harddrive?

I hope I've been clear enough, thanks for any advice!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

We don't know yet, it hasn't been released. Backup 3 does allow for backing up external volumes, but since Time Machine is more of a "System Restore" using environment snapshots (or so it would appear, anyway), I wouldn't venture a guess yet.

I'm sure you'll have lots of experts arguing vehemently that it categorically does, or does not.

Here they come, in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

;)

3. Messenger thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I've been looking at Data Backup 3 and it looks very interesting. Especially the 'go back in time' function. I suppose this is similar to Timemachine, without the flashy interface? Do you know if it uses similar structure, only backing up files that are changed and making a shortcut to those that are not? This would save HDD space.

And sadly, those experts aren't showing up just yet!

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Ooh, don't know anything about that one. I was referring to Apple Backup, not Prosoft's. Sorry!

AFA Time Machine, we're just gonna have to wait 'n' see, I guess, until Leopard is released.

(See how all threads end up at Leopard one way or another?) ;)

5. Messenger thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone else who perhaps could answer my other question?