External HDD for both Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ChitownE, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ChitownE macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm about to start a project that will required me to access large (1 GB+) files on both a Mac and a PC. Networking them isn't an option, so I'd like to get an external HDD. Is this possible? Ideally I'd like work on my files on the PC, unplug the drive, plug it in again on a Mac and put up the same set of files.

If this is possible, anyone have drive recommendations?

Thanks,

~ Eric

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Lacie drives & me -- it's a personal thing. :)

The triple interface D2s and Big Disk Extremes are versatile, fast and robust. Format the drive with the Mac to 'MS-DOS'.

3. brap macrumors 68000

Well, currently NTFS isn't officially fully supported by Panther, but Tiger should put that right. Your other option is MacDrive, which allows HFS+ volumes to be read natively by your windows box - the FAT32 system, which plays nice with both, has no support for huge files. It just chokes and dies :eek:
    My LaCie Big Disk Extreme has done me proud so far, and it's built like a tank. I have just acquired a USB2->IDE adapter, though, for about the equivalent of $15US - and it works fine with DVD-RWs and hard drives. It ain't pretty, but it sure was cheap!

Wow, I just got all déja vu heebiejeebies...