Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

expost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
To get my Multimedia-Data off my MBP i5 SSD I am looking for a small, 1 2,5" hdd enclosure that is FW-800 powered. I was unable to find anything in the forums nor in the buyers guide about this. Any recommendations or tests?
I am looking for something well designed if possible (imho like the LaCie Little Big Disk Quadra, which has two hds (double the power comsumption) and is too big).

expost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Or any suggestions for an empty FW800-enabled external hd casing? (for 2,5", 12mm height, because the WD 2,5" 1TB drive is 12mm in height.)

Kingcodez

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2009
China
I don't know about 12mm cases, I'd check ebay.

You might find the regular ones on newegg, definately look there and amazon.com.

FW800 is by far the best choice, but support for it is down and products are hard to find. Here in beijing they want $70+ for a FW800 enclosure, I'd rather pay the 3 dollars and get a USB enclosure than pay that!

12mm is tricky though, you might be better finding a 3.5

A DIY Idea, is to find any 2.5" FW800 enc, and rip out the board that interfaces with the drive. It's just a silicon board as wide as the drive, that bridges the SATA2-FW800 cable.

Rip it out, make something out of cardboard and duct tape, and there you go. If you are better at DIY, you can use better materials.

You might be better off, aesthetically, buying a Lacie something, with FW800. You won't have the 1TB but you will have FW. I'm not sure which is more important :p

CTechKid

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
To get my Multimedia-Data off my MBP i5 SSD I am looking for a small, 1 2,5" hdd enclosure that is FW-800 powered. I was unable to find anything in the forums nor in the buyers guide about this. Any recommendations or tests?
I am looking for something well designed if possible (imho like the LaCie Little Big Disk Quadra, which has two hds (double the power comsumption) and is too big).

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MS8U5T1GB8/

Best in the industry IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.