External HDD Keeps Hanging Computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flyaway, Sep 23, 2006.

1. flyaway macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded my Macbook's HDD and cased the original 60GB one. I formatted it with Disk Utility to an MS-DOS file system and used it, switching pretty frequently between my Macbook and my PC.

My problem now is that the hard disk works perfectly fine for about a week, then it starts acting up. After I plug it in (it works in the few seconds after I plug it in) and leave it for a short while, it completely refuses to work, and just keeps giving me the spinning beach ball. Worse still, it hangs my Macbook and refuses to unmount. Even after I go ahead and unplug it, Finder will stop working despite my relaunching it and I am unable to restart the Macbook unless I hold the power button down.

After formatting the HDD, it works fine again. Unfortunately, after about a week or so the same problem occurs. I've been through this cycle three times now, and I'm getting pretty annoyed.

I really hope someone can help me out with this. I've tried looking online for solutions but I haven't been able to find any. Many thanks in advance.

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

3. flyaway thread starter macrumors newbie

The HDD is the original one that came with my Macbook, a Seagate... erm I'm not sure what other details there are that are relevant.

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention - the HDD works fine on Windows computers even after it starts screwing up on my Macbook.

Also, the problem isn't limited to when I try and open files. It varies, but the HDD has hung both on attempting to open the drive in Finder, and working all the way until I try opening a certain folder or file.

Thus far the only suggestion I've found seems to be that I should change my casing (my current one is USB-only, firewire enclosures don't appear to be available anywhere where I live). Sigh...