External HDD recommendations for a macbook...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VoodooDaddy, Dec 26, 2006.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

May 14, 2003
    Looking to get one of those ones that powers right off the usb port. This is for my wife as her macbook hdd is filled with alot of music and pictures. Ideally something in the range of 80-120gb would be plenty.

There are a ton of them out there, but if someone have bought one recently that they really like of knows of a good deal somewhere post up.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    Personally, I would go with a Firewire drive, but if USB is your thing, I would suggest buying a drive and enclosure and putting it together yourself. That way, you know exactly what you're getting.

If you want bus-powered, you're limited to a 2.5" drive (aka laptop drive). With that said, you have 2 options, an SATA drive or an IDE drive. If you plan on swapping out the MB's drive, you might want to get a SATA drive. Trouble is that the enclosures aren't as numerous.

Check out newegg.com for a laptop drive. If you do go with IDE, check out the Macally PHR-250 series of enclosures.

3. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    I'd recommend a firelite Firewire drive. Firewire is much better suited to powering something as hungry as a 2.5" drive.

May I ask why your wife wants one that draws power via USB?
  4. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

May 14, 2003
    Well its not really that it has to be usb. Personally I think a firewire would be best because she doesn't use the firewire port for anything else, it would keep 1 of the usb ports open.

I just said usb because I wasn't really thinking about firewire as its not something I use much and she has never used a firewire device. Either usb or firewire would be fine. And like I just said, the firewire would probably be the best choice as it would keep one of the usb ports open.