External HDD storage question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by danielbriggs, Feb 7, 2007.

1. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm considering getting a MyBook Pro from WD. (The one with 3 connections - FW800) I'm still deciding on 250GB or 500GB, but anyway:

I'm chugging away on my C2D 17" MBP, and I've been ripping all my DVD's to my iPod, but it's starting to fill up my drive. Is there anyway I can store JUST my movies and TV shows from iTunes on the external HDD, and play and sync as per usual?

Has anyone done this? and do I need to tell itunes anything in particular, or can I just move them, and itunes will follow the trail? Will they still sync to the ipod on an external drive?

I think it's a good idea to get the HDD as time machine is comming, so I can use some of that for a propper backup storage.

Anyone know any better external HDD's (or possilbe cheap NAS - but I want the FW800 speed mainly) other than the WD silver MyBook (with the blue dial)

Ta!

Dan :)

2. Bwebb macrumors member

http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10036

Have seen many posts regarding external HD. Many like lacie. I have also (out of curiosity) searched many sites (new egg, cdw, cc, bb etc). You can also buy enclosure and drive separately and assemble yourself.

Good luck

3. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

there's quite a bit of selection on cooldrives.com.

4. Blubbert macrumors 6502

You can keep the videos on the external hd, but you have to turn off the automatically copy to library, cause if left on, it will move all your movies onto the internal HD. Another option is to use handbrake, and rip the movies, place them on a folder on the external, and have an alias that points to that folder in the movies folder on your internal HD. That way you can play them from Front Row.

5. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, thanks!

But, as I've already used handbrake to rip them, and i've imported them to itunes, how do tell iTunes to look at the shorcuts, rather than the actual files, will I have to change each one?

Ta!

6. Blubbert macrumors 6502

If you want to have movies outside your library playing in iTunes, just disable the Copy to iTunes Music Folder when adding to libary. Once you do that, you can simply import the movies into itunes, and they will stay where they are.

7. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Cheers, I'll do just that as soon as I get my drive!