External HDD (USA)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by danny_boy, Aug 22, 2005.

1. danny_boy macrumors member

Jul 4, 2005
    Hi There,

I'm going to San Francisco in 2 weeks time. Will I be able to buy electronics in the USA which will work over here in the UK? It's just I'm interested in buying a external hard disk. To store all my digi pics and video I take whilst out in San Francisco. UK use 240volts system. I'm just worried about the different plugs. If only electrical stuff was like Apple and you could just switch the adaptor.

Also totally off topic question anyone want to name some cool places to check out whilst I’m over in San Francisco? Bars, Restaurants, Shops etc.

Danny Boy
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I would just be sure to inquire about an adapor with your purchase. Most companies sell overseas also.
  3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Why don't you just buy an iPod for the purpose at hand. I've heard they work in the UK as well. ;)

More seriously, there are quite a few other 2.5 in external drives that can be self-powered over USB or FireWire, in which case you would not have to worry about the power issue, and most external drives I have bought recently have a 110-230V AC->DC adapter that should work in the UK with the aid of a simple plug adapter. The Maxtor OneTouch drives certainly do, I don't know if LaCie or other more Mac-y ones do too.

I'm sure you could find something you like at Frys http://www.frys.com/. Geek heaven with lots of locations around SF.

EDIT: Great Places to eat abound in SF, particulalry "ethnic" foods. My wife and I always try to stop at Harbor Village for Dim Sum, since we live in a Chinese food hinterland.

4. martin1000 macrumors regular

Apr 16, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Check out Coit Tower, beautiful view of the city.

Also Alcatraz, Haight Ashbury district (Hippie Central in the 60s), California Palace of the Legion of Honor, Lombard Street, and Twin Peaks.

Place to eat, Mecca.

Just some thoughts.