External HP CD-Writer

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Squire, Feb 28, 2005.

1. macrumors 68000

Squire

Hello,
    I know this is probably a long shot but I figured I'd ask you guys just in case. I have an old HP 8200-series external USB CD-writer. It's not recognized by OS X. Is there any way to work around this?

Thanks in advance.

Squire

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't bother. I had a very similar HP CD-writer and trying to get it to work was a waste of about three solid days.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

I was afraid someone would say that. Time to do surgery on the ol' iMac, then. I was hoping that getting this cd-writer to work would delay the inevitable. Oh, well. Dual-layer replacement superdrive, here we come.

Squire

4. Guest

iGary

HP makes/made/whatever the crappiest external CD writers in the industry.

I too, wasted my time with one. It sat in my closet for two years and I decided to run over it with my car I hated it so much. :D

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

How About Alternatives?

Okay. So we've all determined that my cd-writer is almost worthless. ;)

Can you guys recommend replacement superdrives? I'm considering DL versions from both Pioneer and LG. Then, I think I'll try my hand at taking this bad boy apart with xlr8yourmac.com's direction. (A Mac service center wanted-- hold your breath-- about 400 bucks to replace the superdrive.)

Squire

6. Guest

iGary

OWC should have a compatible solution listed - I like the Pioneer drives, personally.

7. macrumors member

I just bought a 16x DVD-R drive from ZipZoomFly for less than $60. Its the NEC ND-3520A, and is one of the first on the market to support the new DVD-R DL standard (well, it will be, when there is media available and a firmware update is released). Here's a review:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=255

Mac OS X may not recognize its burning capabilities without a hack such as PatchBurn, but Toast should have no issue with it.